We’re living out of rhythm. Our ancestors enjoyed substantial nutrient-dense, protein rich breakfast dishes of warm grains, legumes, aromatic spices and herbs to begin an honest day’s work. Now we’re lucky if we can squeeze in a sub-par breakfast that comes out of a box or package as we rush off to work in our automoboxes, or squeezed shoulder-to-shoulder on a bus or metro car. This month’s offering is a delectable, protein-rich, soul-satisfying – and might I add gluten-free – breakfast offering designed to warm your belly and get you centered and energized for your day. Kick off your new year with intention and nourishment. To your health!
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25-35 min
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup Quinoa, soaked for 5 min
- 1 cup Amaranth, soaked for 5 min
- ½ Cup Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup or Raw Honey
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Shredded Carrots
- In a large pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add grains and spices and toast mixture about 3-5 minutes.
- Add water, bring to boil and simmer on low heat about 15-20 min until grains are thoroughly cooked and porridge is translucent.
- Add almond milk and maple syrup to porridge.
- Serve with raisins, carrots, and almonds.