Sumptuous Lentil Soup
Lentils are such a staple of the Egyptian diet and lentil soup in particular. This recipe is a twist on my mama’s in which I incorporated turmeric – that magical, cancer-fighting yellow superfood – lots of it. For the full Middle Eastern experience, serve with whole wheat pita bread and be sure to squeeze some lime juice. To your health.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
6-8 cups of water
1 cups of red lentils (rinsed)
1 cup of brown lentils
5-6 carrots peeled and coarsely chopped
5 celery stalks coarsely chopped
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp coriander
1) In a large pot, heat 4-5 swirls of olive oil over medium high heat. When hot, add carrots, celery and sautee for 3 minutes.
2) Add lentils and spices continue to sautee over medium high for another 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3) Add water and bring to boil. Allow to boil for about 8 minutes on high.
4) Reduce to low and simmer for another 25-30 minutes.
5) Remove from heat. Serve with lime wedges and enjoy.